Houston Textile Collection Services
Unlike other textile recycling businesses, ReUse Textile Recycling Services utilizes a simplified, transparent collection process. Our donation transportation routes help our partners save on shipping and transportation costs while conserving energy and resources.
How Textile Recycling Works
As a practice, textile recycling can create sustainable benefits across many markets, including fashion, energy, and retail. Research indicates that 95% of the textiles produced annually are fit to be reused, upcycled, or recycled.
Textile recycling reduces the environmental burden of generating millions of new clothes, shoes, and home goods each year. Textile waste occurs when we produce more textiles than we use. Textile waste significantly drains our natural resources, expends precious energy, and generates harmful materials that can leak into our air, soil, and water.
As of 2017:
- Second to oil, the textile industry is the largest polluter in the world. (Source)
- Textile waste occupies nearly 5% of shrinking landfill space. (Source)
- At least 18 percent of the carbon emissions required to generate a single garment comes from fiber production. (Source)
- Polyester production for textiles release roughly 1.5 trillion pounds of greenhouse gases each year. (Source)
- It takes 2,700 liters of water to make one cotton T-shirt. (Source)
- The US. generates an average of 25 billion pounds of textiles per year--enough for 82 pounds per US resident. (Source)
- Of those 82 pounds, the average US citizen throws away 70 pounds of clothing annually. (Source)
- Textile recyclers export at least 61% of their collections, reducing the U.S. trade deficit. (Source)
How We Help
ReUse Textile Recycling Services educates and provides the logistics support needed for collection of new, like new and used textile.
Our process guides our partner organizations on sorting the donations they receive among specified “tiers.” Textiles are received, sorted and grated into two tiers:
- The lower tier donations are recycled into rags and similar material for industrial use.
- The higher tier donations are sold to 3rd world communities across the globe, stimulating a bustling job market.
We employ eager individuals with knowledge of the textile recycling industry and the unique network of Houston nonprofits.
Transform the Textile Industry
Join ReUse Textile Recycling Services in our fight for conscious textile consumption by joining our partner network. We’ll show you how prepare donations, educate your audience and receive funding for your efforts.